Top 10 reasons Bush’s poll numbers make me so happy
It’s time for a little self-analysis. But first, the juicy details:
(Washington Post) Disfavor for Bush Hits Rare Heights
President Bush is a competitive guy. But this is one contest he would rather lose. With 18 months left in office, he is in the running for most unpopular president in the history of modern polling.
The latest Washington Post-ABC News survey shows that 65 percent of Americans disapprove of Bush’s job performance, matching his all-time low. In polls conducted by The Post or Gallup going back to 1938, only once has a president exceeded that level of public animosity — and that was Richard M. Nixon, who hit 66 percent four days before he resigned.
Okay, here are the top 10 reasons Bush’s poll numbers make me so happy:
10. It’s fun watching Republicans pretend that Ronald Reagan was the last GOP president;
9. Since Fox News assiduously avoids reporting any bad news for the GOP, this takes us one step closer to that glorious day when Fox will simply run out of things to say and disappear into the ether;
8. I just love watching David Broder’s head spin around like the girl in the Exorcist;
7. Seeing the populace regain their sanity has allowed Thomas Jefferson to stop telling everyone in the afterlife that he’s French;
6. The lower Bush’s popularity goes the better I feel when I’m flying on an American built plane;
5. Every point dip in Bush’s popularity adds one week to the time the five Supreme Court justices who put him into office will have to spend in the afterlife doing penitence by watching his speeches, one after another after another;
4. Call me shallow, but it’s just so much fun watching my formerly cocky Republican friends cringe when I say to them, “So, what do you think of your boy now?”;
3. It’s good to know that not every crook in America is as popular as Tony Soprano;
2. Bush’s unpopularity will almost certainly help to fill the shortfall in enlistments to our armed services, since all of the pro-war Republicans (and their staffs) voted out of office next election will no doubt take the opportunity to immediately put their butts where their mouths are by joining up in droves.
(But seriously now folks . . .)
And the number one reason why Bush’s poll numbers make me so happy . . .
1. THEY MAY HELP TO END THE WAR!
July 25th, 2007 at 11:29 am
“1. THEY MAY HELP TO END THE WAR!”
My great fear is that, with nothing left to lose, and no concern for the future of this country or even his party, he might just go all in and start a war with Iran.
July 25th, 2007 at 1:27 pm
You’re not shallow. It IS nice to finally be on the “I told you so” side and to see everything (and more!) that we’ve all been predicting and saying since 2000 come true. And what’s better, we don’t even really have to say it. They know.
July 26th, 2007 at 6:20 pm
It has been a while since I heard ” So you would rather that Saddam was still in power” with the implication that rainbows and butterflies were just about to break out any day. My reply was always that all was not decided and that even incurious George might some day wish that.
Apparently even though Iraqis are there, nearly everyone who voted for it is there, even Bill Kristol is there, but ole George is still sailing up Denial.
July 29th, 2007 at 1:04 pm
“5. Every point dip in Bush’s popularity adds one week to the time the five Supreme Court justices who put him into office will have to spend in the afterlife doing penitence by watching his speeches, one after another after another;”
too good a fate for them. perhaps 100 years for every death that was caused by their putting bush in power in each circle of hell.